If the unit is still under warranty, have any Generac dealer run through
the diagnostics. The testing flow suggests rotor or stator problems, and
there is a proscribed testing flow that needs to be performed. If it is
determined to be a warranty issue, it will be fixed for you at no cost.
If it is not under warranty, I would still have a dealer look at it. There
are a large number of possible issues and you are going to spend a lot of
time trying to find the problem. A Generac tech will likely find the
problem in a few minutes unless it is a serious problem, in which case you
were never going to find it.
I'm a Generac tech so I can speak from some experience that this is likely
not a simple issue.

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 8:13 PM, David Palumbo <palumbo1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am troubleshooting a 6kw EcoGen LP gas generator in my neighborhood that
> starts quickly
> • but immediately shuts down with an “Under Voltage” shutdown alarm
> • I can clear shutdown alarm and restart with same result. I tried this a
> few times with same result. One of the start attempts included a back fire
> before shutting down.
> • Generator was recently run successfully for a few hours during a cold
> snap. Started after several attempts at -10 F.
> • According to the EcoGen manual this Under Voltage alarm is triggered “If
> the generator voltage falls below 85% of nominal for more than 15
> seconds”.  This definitely isn’t happening as the generator starts as usual
> but shuts down within one or two seconds.
> I will check for fouled spark plugs tomorrow. Anything else that might be
> the problem?
>
> David Palumbo
> Independent Power LLC
> Hyde Park, VT
> 802-371-8678 voice or text
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts