I agree, Ray. Shutting down the inverter's ac output and the PV array is sufficient to make a battery based system about as safe as possible for firefighters. That is probably what was wanted when the code was revised to require an outside battery disconnect. Unfortunately, the local AHJ may not see it that way. But if the AHJ will agree to it the remote inverter shutdown is an easy way to go. I like the way Schneider has implemented remote power off in the XW series, once the remote shut off is tripped the inverter must be manually reset. I don't believe it is done that way in the Outback inverters which leaves open the question: can the power come back on if the remote off circuit is compromised. Well, it can't if there is a remotely tripped breaker used as a disconnect.

The issue of security for outside disconnects will be a major problem that the 2020 code has created. Its not just renewable energy systems in that situation. All new utility services have the same requirement. Anyone having a beef with their neighbor can shut off their power. Best if you wait until they are on vacation...

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar