Maybe Fronius or other large inverter manufacturers could afford to do
this. -Drake Drake Chamberlin Athens Electric LLC Ohio Electrical Contractor's License 44810 CO Master Electrician's License 4526

---

On 2021-08-28 12:20, Ray wrote:

All of these new code required safety features have a detrimental effect on reliability. That's not a huge deal with GT, but off grid, this can become a serious safety issue in itself, as the homeowner loses communications, water, heat, and frozen food. There are opponents of solar energy that are laughing at us now, for being scared of our own shadow, when we as an industry have had an overall excellent safety record that goes back 40 years. We need to take a serious look at which safety issues are real, and which are not. Standardizing PV connections is very important. Module level RSD is not.
Ray Walters
Remote Solar
303 505-8760

On 8/28/21 9:46 AM, Dave Angelini Offgrid Solar wrote: The Schneider RSD is decent. At least it is useable as a 600vdc disco. The few offgrid homes that were required to use this had the Tigo units on the array panels and wireless comm to the RSD. As soon as the inspector was done, those went to Ebay. I never use a roof but have used a barn for panels. AFCI, GFCI, and now RSD are just more things to fail when you need them the most, like during a wildfire or hurricane. I know you folks have to do what you need to do to stay in business. For me, electronics are in a covered building. Always!
Dave Angelini Offgrid Solar
"we go where powerlines don't"
http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/
e-mail  offgridso...@sti.net
text 209 813 0060

On Fri, 27 Aug 2021 07:48:34 -0800, James Jarvis <j...@aprsworld.com> wrote: So who has a good reliable off grid RSD? It all looks like failure prone garbage to me.

Thank you,

-James Jefferson Jarvis
APRS World, LLC
+1-507-454-2727

(Sent from my phone. My apologies for spelling errors and brevity.) On Fri, Aug 27, 2021, 05:02 Tump <t...@swnl.net> wrote: I would once again say that; we as an industry can influence not only the writing of the code but with what we are _buying_ OR _not buying._ If the devices we are required to install to make things "more safe & reliable", at the cost of our livelihoods & reputations, we all need to make the folks that are building the RSD crap and those who require installation of questionably safe & reliable crap aware of these problems. WE can thru either going to the code development meetings AND NOT buying or installing this stuff. Not too easy when a huge amount of solar is rooftop installs. As many of the installers in the NE know its not a single level ranch were installing this stuff on, short season & man lift required. Tell your supplier why you are not buying that brand, let your supplier & folks on the list what manufacture has good reliable products AND tech support that we can understand, who we can get in a timely fashion, and get the satisfaction of a prompt replacement. IF we don't sell it they won't have a job or a market. On Aug 26, 2021, at 2:09 PM, Jeremy Coxon <jco...@sunwindpowerinc.com> wrote: Carl, Did you get any kind of joy out of APSmart on that failure? I will say that their tech support guy did at least try to be helpful, but the language barrier was really really steep and their distribution channels are less than ideal. Their response to a request for compensation was that they would not be profitable if they had to pay for truck rolls for such a low cost item. I really don't think they GET IT. We've been in business for over 16yrs and this one failure could easily have ended that run.
I cannot imagine we're alone here.  I was told by AP that their failure rate
was 0.2%. Now, I come from a reliability engineering background in petro
chemical/ big pharma where a 0.2% failure rate would be catastrophic.  Can you
imagine that 2 out of every 1000 pills made could cause death?  We engineered
secondary systems and multiple quality checks to contain catastrophic
consequences for components that had know failure rates higher than acceptable
values.  A simple solution to this fire initiation issue would be a metal
enclosure instead of plastic casing.  That still doesn't really solve the
problem of extra connections though.

Best Regards,
Jeremy Coxon NABCEP # 091308-21 _______________________________________________
List sponsored by Redwood Alliance

List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette:

Tump [1]3...@gmail.com www.SWNL.net [1] Solarwinds Northernlights _ _ _ Serving Mid Coast Maine & Northern California_ _ 207-832-7574 Cl. 610-517-8401 _ _ __Blair "TUMP" May_
********  MAINE'S CHARTER ********
_ __ NABCEP "Certified PV Installer"_
********  MAINE'S CHARTER ********
_        Trace Xantrex "Certified" Dealer / Installer"_

List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette:

List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org

There are two list archives for searching. When one doesn't work, try
the other:

List rules & etiquette:

List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org

There are two list archives for searching. When one doesn't work, try
the other:

List rules & etiquette:

Links:
------