> 2.3 remove SPLICE inline rule
> That may be NG.  The reason for the SPLICE-at-the-start and
> SPLICE-inline rules is to support the following Arc syntax, and CL keywords:
>
> (if
>   (cond1)
>     (exp1)
>   (cond2)
>     (exp2)
>     (exp-else))
>
> (foo
>   :foo-stuff (exp1)
>   :bar-stuff (exp2))

Right.  The goal is come up with a single syntax that makes common cases
easy, and I really want it to be fundamentally the same across different LISPs.

> By the SPLICE-at-the-start and SPLICE-inline rules, we can express it as:
>
> if
> ..(cond1)
> ..\ (exp1)
> ..(cond2)
> ..\ (exp2)
> ..\ (exp-else)

Hmm, that wasn't my intended meaning.  My interpretation of that expression
would be this, because "\" at the beginning of a line means "wrap () around it":
(if (cond1) ((exp1)) ( (cond2) ((exp2)) ((exp-else))))

I would instead write this "if" example as:
if
..(cond1) \ (exp1)
..(cond2) \ (exp2)
..(exp-else)

> foo
> ..:foo-stuff \ (exp1)
> ..:bar-stuff \ (exp2)

Here we agree on the intended meaning.

By the way, these "periods at the beginning of the line" do make the
code easier to read when you're quoting on a system that strips out front
whitespace.  I wonder if we should allow leading periods as an alternative
to whitespace (?) when indentation is significant.  I can't think
of a case where leading periods are actually used for symbol names.
As long as they're not FORCED they might be useful.  What do you think?

(In general, I'm trying to think outside of the box.  99% of the ideas
might be stupid, but if in the journey we find good stuff, then great!)

--- David A. Wheeler