On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, CyberMan wrote:

>       What type of cable should I use for a network of 2 computers,
> considering that the distance between them is 100 meters max. I don't need

There are a number of factors to take into consideration here.

First, 100 meters is the maximum rated distance of a 10BaseT or 100BaseT
ethernet segment.  If you are going to be close to the 100 meter limit you
should probably consider getting coax (10base2) which has a 300 meter
limit.

Next, it is unsafe to string ethernet from one house to another without
taking precautions.  Especially if you are planning on just letting it lay
in the yard.  It could leak and short out in a storm, it could be eaten by
animals (gophers in particular love to chew on cabling), it could be run
over by a lawnmower. It could, as has been mentioned, be struck by
lightning.  The only "safe" way to do this is to run the cable inside a
proper grounded conduit underground from one house to the next.

Finally, many buildings (even those near to each other) will have
different ground electrical potentials, and having the ground potentials
too far off might make you wish you never plugged both computers into the
wire.  You must test first as to whether the grounds are close enough (and
no, I don't know what "close enough" would be in such a case).

In the USA, such an arrangement would probably be technically illegal due
to zoning laws.  Your mileage may vary.

> very high speed, but I don't want to spend too much. I would like to use
> 2 NE2000 cards, but I've heard that some clones are nothing but crap.

I use the Genius GE2000 series ethernet cards.  The GE2500 is a PCI based
version of the same.  They cost about $30 in the USA, I have no idea the
cost (or even if they are available) in Romania. :)  They support 10BaseT
and 10Base2 connections.