Joe Klemmer wrote:

>    The basic problem with all this is that Linux is NOT a desktop OS
>like Win3/95 or OS/2 or the Mac.  It's a high end server OS.
>It's not even in the same category as Win95.

And

Claire Bradford wrote:
>Unix is an opertaing system that does require a little bit of
>patience and understanding. Which in my opinion makes it all the more fun.

    I think this is what Linux could learn from MS.  Back in the "old days"
computers and computing was only for the elite few in government institutions.
Soon, hobby groups began putting together "personal" computers, much like more
recent hobbyists have put together a "personal" Unix.  But it took people like
Gates, Wozniak and Jobs to make a hobby into a necessity.
    Humor an analogy: Most everyone with a car drives an ordinary off-the-lot
vehicle (windows), but many dream of that candy apple red hot rod (or
whatever).  However, even if a hotrod dream car was offered free of charge(ex:
Linux), few people would have the time and resources needed to learn auto
technology and maintain the car, and it would probably spend most of its time
in the garage.
    Somehow, through documentation, installation procedures, powerful apps,
GUI's or what-have-you, Linux needs to step beyond the "High end server OS" and
"garage hobbyist" to appeal to the non-tinkerer types.  Only then can it really
compete with Windows (if that's what Linux want's to do, that is.)

--Andrew

--
| Andrew Duhan    |     Cereal is     |
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |       g00d.       |