On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Scott McDermott wrote:

> You know, that's a very good question!! Unices, Unixen, Unixes,
> capitalized variants, anything else...I've never been able to figure out
> which is appropriate.

Traditionally, 'Unices' is correct.  According to grammar rules, 'Unixes'
would probably also be acceptable, but you know that Unixy types are
seldom too hung up on grammar rules. :)  Unixen is wrong.  There is a term
"Vaxen" for Vaxes based on the pluralization of some words ending in X,
which led to the term "boxen" for referring to systems of any type.

On the subject of capitalization, UNIX(tm) was originally spelled in all
caps as an acronym.  It didn't stand for anything, but that's how it was
spelled.  You have to use the (tm) if you do it this way.  :)  The term
UN*X was adopted to avoid and simultaneously poke fun at the legal aspects
of the UNIX(tm) spelling.  It's also used in the modern world to refer to
any flavor of Unix, rather than a specific version.  In the modern world,
AT&T doesn't care about their UNIX(tm) trademark anymore so it is now
generally accepted to say Unix (presumably to avoid holding down the shift
key for four characters).

> Why do so many other programs have GPLed implementations? No one has
> developed GPLed RAD tools? It seems that commercial interests have had

I think it's because there are already so many RAD-like things available.
There is TCL, Scotty, Expect, Perl, and Python (and even the old standby
shell scripts), all of which have their own strengths and weaknesses and
which also have interfaces to TK for graphics.  Just because it doesn't
say "visual" doesn't mean it isn't useful as a RAD tool.

Unless we are talking about different things when we say RAD.  When *I*
say RAD I mean a programming language that can build more complex programs
out of simple parts and which manage so many difficult things - memory
allocation, pointers, hash tables, string manipulation, user input, window
events, and so on, for the programmer, so he can concentrate on the
program.

Maybe you mean a development environment that includes integrated
debuggers, context highlighting, and so on.  In that case you probably
want XEmacs.