On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Scott McDermott wrote:

> I'm wondering if grammer rules apply though.  I'm afraid that the answer
> is lost in antiquity.  Perhaps we could ask Kernighan?

>From what I hear he's pretty hard to understand. ;)

> You contradict yourself: UNIX, all caps, acronym.  But doesn't stand for
> anything.  By definition, an acronym does stand for something.  I was

UNIX nevertheless, is an acronym which does not stand for anything. :)  It
inherited its name from Multics, and was a weak pun on it (since Multics
was supposed to be many times better).

The official trademark is on UNIX, all caps.  The legend goes that the
UNIX in all caps came to be because it looked cooler in the printouts, and
that it just seemed like an acronym.  Nevertheless, both UNIX and Unix are
in common use and have been for some time.

> told a while back that UNIX comes from UNIfied Xface (or interface),

It doesn't.