On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Avijit Ghosh blurted out:

AG>On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Chuck Mead wrote:
AG>
AG>>
AG>> Could it be the network card that you have? (grasping at straws!)
AG>
AG>     Its possible i've googled about a bit.. and I believe the
AG>xircom card buses have some problems w/ the 2.4 kernel however the error
AG>messages are pretty specific to just pcmcia just not working properly..
AG>also neither  the xircom nor the aironet card works w/ 2.4. Actually if
AG>you could, it  would be really great if you could mail me your pcmcia file
AG>in /etc/init.d.

Here ya' go. See the attached file.

AG>I  am currently trying turning off the kernel subsystem
AG>and  recompiling i.e compiling pcmcia-cs seperately and seeing if that
AG>works..  The old  kgcc compiler may have issues but this new one has some
AG>serious speed issues !

Really... I've done some compiling over the last couple of days and did
not notice anything untoward but it was small stuff like gkrellm and
XFce.

AG>     Next time I get the bright idea to install an OS that hasn't been
AG>shipped please shoot me :) Also actually could you tell me what/how you
AG>are  running? Is this one of the 7.1 beta's installed completely or
AG>upgraded or  is it the real 7.1 from yestertag? upgraded? installed?

This was Seawolf downloaded on Monday morning and installed as an
upgrade over top of Guiness.  The laptop is a Tuxtop PIII 500 with 256MB
of RAM and a Linksys 10/100 Combo Card. I have also installed it onto a
couple of non mission-essential servers and my primary work station.
None of these have given me any serious problems.

--
Chuck Mead, csm -AT- moongroup.com, Owner, MoonGroup.com
(Note: html formatted email sent to me is filtered & deleted unread)

# rc.pcmcia 1.35 2001/01/06 03:16:00 (David Hinds)
#
# This is designed to work in BSD as well as SysV init setups.  See
# the HOWTO for customization instructions.

# Tags for Red Hat init configuration tools
#
# chkconfig: 2345 20 96
# processname: cardmgr
# pidfile: /var/run/cardmgr.pid
# config: /etc/pcmcia/config
# config: /etc/pcmcia/config.opts
#              and modems in laptops.  It won't get started unless \
#              configured so it is safe to have it installed on machines \
#              that don't need it.

# Save option values passed in through the environment
for N in PCMCIA PCIC PCIC_OPTS CORE_OPTS CARDMGR_OPTS SCHEME ; do
    V=`eval echo '$'$N` ; if [ "$V" ] ; then eval ENV_$N=\"$V\" ; fi
done

# Source PCMCIA configuration, if available
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia ] ; then
    # Red Hat startup option file
    . /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia
elif [ -f /etc/pcmcia.conf ] ; then
    # Debian startup option file
    . /etc/pcmcia.conf
else
    # Slackware startup options go right here:
    # Should be either i82365 or tcic
    PCIC=i82365
    # Put socket driver timing parameters here
    PCIC_OPTS=
    # Put pcmcia_core options here
    CORE_OPTS=
    # Put cardmgr options here
    CARDMGR_OPTS=
    # To set the PCMCIA scheme at startup...
    SCHEME=
fi
for N in PCMCIA PCIC PCIC_OPTS CORE_OPTS CARDMGR_OPTS SCHEME ; do
    V=`eval echo '$'ENV_$N` ; if [ "$V" ] ; then eval $N=\"$V\" ; fi
done
if [ "$PCMCIA" -a "$PCMCIA" != "yes" ] ; then exit 0 ; fi

usage()
{
    echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|reload|condrestart|status}"
}

cleanup()
{
    while read SN CLASS MOD INST DEV EXTRA ; do
        if [ "$SN" != "Socket" ] ; then
            /etc/pcmcia/$CLASS stop $DEV 2> /dev/null
        fi
    done
}

start()
{
        echo -n $"Starting PCMCIA services:"
        if [ -d /var/lib/pcmcia ] ; then
            SC=/var/lib/pcmcia/scheme
            RUN=/var/lib/pcmcia
        else
            SC=/var/run/pcmcia-scheme
            RUN=/var/run
        fi
        if [ -L $SC -o ! -O $SC ] ; then rm -f $SC ; fi
        if [ ! -f $SC ] ; then umask 022 ; touch $SC ; fi
        if [ "$SCHEME" ] ; then umask 022 ; echo $SCHEME > $SC ; fi
        fgrep -q pcmcia /proc/devices
        if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
            if [ -d /lib/modules/preferred ] ; then
                PC=/lib/modules/preferred/pcmcia
            else
                PC=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/pcmcia
            fi
            if [ -d $PC ] ; then
                echo -n $" modules"
                /sbin/insmod $PC/pcmcia_core.o $CORE_OPTS
                /sbin/insmod $PC/$PCIC.o $PCIC_OPTS
                /sbin/insmod $PC/ds.o
            else
                echo $" module directory $PC not found."
                break
            fi
        fi
        if [ -s /var/run/cardmgr.pid ] && \
            kill -0 `cat /var/run/cardmgr.pid` 2>/dev/null ; then
            echo $" cardmgr is already running."
        else
            if [ -r $RUN/stab ] ; then
                cat $RUN/stab | cleanup
            fi
            echo $" cardmgr."
            /sbin/cardmgr $CARDMGR_OPTS
        fi
        if [ -d /var/lock/subsys ] ; then
            touch /var/lock/subsys/pcmcia
        fi
}

stop()
{
        echo -n $"Shutting down PCMCIA services:"
        if [ -s /var/run/cardmgr.pid ] ; then
            PID=`cat /var/run/cardmgr.pid`
            kill $PID
            echo -n $" cardmgr"
            # Give cardmgr a few seconds to handle the signal
            kill -0 $PID 2>/dev/null && sleep 2 && \
            kill -0 $PID 2>/dev/null && sleep 2 && \
            kill -0 $PID 2>/dev/null && sleep 2 && \
            kill -0 $PID 2>/dev/null
        fi
        killall -q "CardBus Watcher"
        if fgrep -q "ds  " /proc/modules ; then
            echo -n $" modules"
            /sbin/rmmod ds
            /sbin/rmmod $PCIC
            /sbin/rmmod pcmcia_core
        fi
        echo $"."
        rm -f /var/lock/subsys/pcmcia

        # we do this because when we stop the service, the ide stop script
        # gets run before the card disappears
        /usr/sbin/updfstab
        EXITCODE=0
}

status()
{
        pid=`pidof cardmgr`
        if [ -n "$pid" ] ; then
            echo $"cardmgr (pid $pid) is running..."
            EXITCODE=0
        else
            echo $"cardmgr is stopped"
            EXITCODE=3
        fi
}

EXITCODE=1
for x in "1" ; do

    if [ "$PCIC" = "" ] ; then
        echo $"PCIC module not defined in startup options!"
        break
    else
        kernel=`uname -r | cut -d. -f1-2`
        if [ $PCIC = i82365 -a $kernel = 2.4 ]; then
            kudzu=$(kudzu -b pci -c socket -p | grep yenta_socket)
            if [ -n "$kudzu" ]; then
                PCIC=yenta_socket
            fi
        fi
    fi

    if [ $# -lt 1 ] ; then usage ; break ; fi
    action=$1

    case "$action" in

    start)
        start
        ;;

    stop)
        stop
        ;;

    status)
        status
        ;;

    restart|reload)
        stop
        start
        EXITCODE=$?
        ;;

    condrestart)
        status &>/dev/null
        if [ "x$EXITCODE" = "x0" ]; then
                stop
                start
                EXITCODE=$?
        else
                EXITCODE=0
        fi
        ;;

    *)
        usage
        ;;

    esac

done

# Only exit if we're in our own subshell
case $0 in *rc.pcmcia) exit $EXITCODE ;; esac