Jay,

As far as I know, ICANN has never said it agrees with that claim.

You can listen to ICANN’s presentation of the issue and proposed way forward in
the latest Thick Whois Implementation Review Team in the first minutes of the
recording at
https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/48348893/ThickWhois-20Sep16.mp3?version=2&modificationDate=1474457205000&api=v2

A member of the RySG presents his view starting around minute 18, and around
minute 27, recognizes that having RDAP in the CL&D policy was in response to
community feedback and explains that the Implementation Review Team were in
favor of it, however he later changed his mind.

--
Francisco

P.S. The Thick Whois Implementation Review Team (a group of community members
who have been working with the ICANN organization on the CL&D policy) has a
page at
https://community.icann.org/display/TWCPI/Thick+Whois+Policy+Implementation

On 9/22/16, 4:00 PM, "regext on behalf of Jay Daley" <regext-boun...@ietf.org