An old adage given to me by an old timer 20 or 30 years ago is worth mentioning here (I think), "Doubling the height of the antenna reaps you more benfits in terms of range than squaring the output power (ERP)".

my 2 cents to the discussion

mch wrote:
No, it won't. 3dB will give you 1 s-unit increase and slightly more
range, but nowhere near double.

Joe M.

ian wells wrote:

just a quick question
can anyone give a idea of difference of range when swaping a 6db base ant to
a 9 db ant.
would it be close to 2x the range in kms