I've always been taught and read that a 3dB increase (or decrease) is
the point at which the user can first notice that the signal has
changed. You can gain 3dB by either doubling your power (or ERP), or by
doubling the antenna height. Of course, this does not take hills into
account where your height doubling just happens to clear a hill. This
assumes that your antenna is in flat land or above the hills (or trees).

Joe M.