I must agree with Doug.  There is very likely an unfavorable load
presented to the PA, and it manifests its displeasure by burning up!

Most of us (me included) do the initial tune-up of a commercial
transmitter with a Bird 45 wattmeter feeding a good 50 ohm dummy load.
Transistorized PAs adore dummy loads, because they are resistive.  By
definition, such loads are broadband- often from DC to 1 GHz- and the PA
is "comfortable" with such a laid-back, non-confrontational,
non-reactive sink for its RF power.

Ah, but the Real World (duplexers, isolators, and antennas) are not so
forgiving; they are REACTIVE!  By definition, such RF devices present
different impedances at different frequencies.  We should not be
surprised that a PA that works (or SEEMS to work) perfectly into a dummy
load for hours on end, suddenly goes belly-up when feeding a highly
reactive load such as a duplexer.  HELLO?  A duplexer is the
quintessential unstable load for a PA, and it seldom presents a 50 ohm
load at any frequency.

Although the use of impedance matchers has been hotly debated in these
pages, along with recipes for cutting cables to "magic" lengths, we must
acknowledge the fact that any PA that works perfectly into a precise 50
ohm load, "may" not work perfectly- or even close- when presented a
reactive load.

So, let's improve our odds!  The first step, especially when dealing
with a solid-state PA, is to adjust its output impedance to properly
match a 50 ohm load.  I don't care if you do this with a Z-matcher or
with laborious cut-and-try cable lengths, it's a step in the right
direction.

The second step is to ensure that the next component seen by the PA,
whether an isolator or a duplexer, is tuned for a 50 ohm source.
Despite passionate denials by some "experts," you cannot tune a duplexer
to match a wayward impedance.  All adjustments on a duplexer affect its
frequency response, and since the frequency is not going to change,
neither should the tuning of a duplexer be tinkered with.  A lot of my
work is undoing the "tweaking" performed by self-styled experts who
sincerely believe that a duplexer can be tuned to a PA. NOT!  The
results prove my point, and are supported by those firms that make
duplexers.

The bottom line is that a well-made, commercial-grade PA should not die
unless something is very, very wrong.  I can live with the rare death
due to natural causes, but repeated toastings... NOT!

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY