Hello ...

Kevin Berlen wrote:

  ... snip ...

> The receiver in your machine is basically a Mitrek. One thing to
> look for that can cause intermittent problems are the ground
> connections on the coils in the front end casting. The joints can
> fracture and cause very intermittent RX sensitivity problems. Don't
> over look the two injection filter resonators that are part of this
> assembly. Get a friend and a couple LARGE soldering guns and
> resolder all of these connections. It will take a large amount of
> heat, but make sure that the solder flows properly and that the
> entire joint is fluid before you remove the heat.  Following this
> repair, be prepared to touch up the aligmnment on the front end.

  This is a serious issue - about 30 years ago, the Motorola UHF
 Motrac receiver front end castings had a similar problem.

  The fix I used was to carefully remove the casting from the
 receiver, take the top plate with the adjustment screws off and set
 it aside.  A trip outside and a propane torch reheating the entire
 front end assembly, tightening the helical resonator screws and
  flowing fresh solder on all the connections fixed the problem.

  Neil - WA6KLA