I never understood either why 214 is quoted as 99% shield with it's 2 braids. I
would think it would be 100% with lots to spare.

The 100% shield designation comes from having both a braid and a tape shield.
 The tape is theorietically the 100% shield and the braid is placed over it to
act as a strain relief.

The reason it desenses it's self is the dissimilar metal condition the the tape
presents to the braid. The power from the transmitter creates "Micro arcs" in
between the shields and bounces around like pac-man.  You can use it for the
cables to and from the duplexer, but running power down the wire creates the
arcs so you get a general rise in the noise floor when trying to recieve back
through it. Using this type of cable for the antenna run is a sure way to get
kicked off a mountain top.

Take a look at standard cable guy issue RG-6.  This is a prime example of coax
not to use. The tape is 100% coverage,  Then that is covered with 25% - 60%
braid depending on how cheap your cable company is. It gets better, The center
conductor "Stinger" is copper clad steel, this has been a RF nightmare from the
get go as tempreture changes. Try doing a google search to find the different
tempreture expansion and contraction rates of materials and compare them.  Over
several years the steal to copper bond breaks with tempreture and user movement
and the microfractures will create noise in the coax, especially when moved.

But it is cheap so who cares? The only saving factor is that both the braid and
tape are aluminum, you can't solder a connector to it to save your life, but
you can crimp all day long. Then you have the problem of the sucked fitting
which will attenuate signal below 100MHz but pass everything else fine. And
there are impedence bumps if the coax wasn't rolled right.

To answer another question, the braid of the Flexi took the solder, the tape
shield did not. I held the connector upright and dumped an ass load of solder
down the holes so it got the threads of the connector all nice and goopy. And
yes, I will admit to buying the $5.20 each silver plated teflon connectors from
the local Radio shack.  But when you are down and out on a holiday week-end,
you have to make "Sacrifices".

"Scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Thanks All----Sounds like I'd better go with some sort of hard line for my
>between unit RF interconnects to keep between cable leakage to tolerable
>limits----and probably noise too. But this brings up another issue: forgetting
>about noise for the moment ---how can a 214 type cable which is listed as
>97-98% shielded have lower leakage (desense problems) than a foil cable listed
>as 100% shielded?
>
>The big question-------what is the most economical combination of small
>diameter hard line and an "N" compatible connector assembly?--------is there
>something that can be done with say 1/4" superflex and the affordable solder
>through the holes teflon "N" connector that is similar to the 259 "UHF"
>connector?----what is the best way to go?
>
>And another-------I've seen military microwave gear interconnected with
>hardline less than 1/4" diameter ---smooth tubing---with soldered on "N"
>connectors-----like is used in mobile helical duplexers-----is this system
>suitable and where does it come from?
>
>Thanks much, 73
>Scott, N6NXI