Some rotors had a variable resistor in them for direction, the cornell
dubilers come to mind and I think the yaesu's too.

Couldn you use some electronic meter face to read of the position on
numeric value some how?

--
Jay Urish W5GM
ARRL Life Member        Denton County ARRL VEC

Monitoring 444.850 PL-88.5