I would hate to see your insightful comment missed.  I haven't seen
anyone else pick up on the part of your message about the linear
transponder.  If someone wants to pass many different modes through a
repeater, you can't do better than a transponder.  I've been on the
transmitting and receiving end of them for years with the satellite
world, and we haven't had to wholesale change out them with the change
from FM video to digital modes.  They just work.

Not being an expert on designing them, my understanding of the process
is as follows.

On a block level, they're much simpler than they seem.  Take a tightly
bandpass filtered IF from just about any quality radio, AGC it really
well, frequency convert it to the desired output frequency, run it
through a LINEAR power chain, and you now have the transponder.   A
simple RF envelope detector can act as the "squelch" so that the
output power chain isn't constantly running to amplify ambient noise
that wanders into the system's input bandpass.

The only other challenge is to be able to ID the repeater.   A simple
MCW oscillator somewhere in the chain, either at the IF frequency or
output fundamental, and you're legal.  FM, D-Star, P25, AM, CW, SSB
and virtually any mode that'll stay within the bandpass of the IF will
go through unimpeded ( and undistorted.)  One possible minor down side
is that the user's radio needs to be somewhat on-frequency.  If they
come in 1 KHz low, they go out 1 KHz low.  In theory, it's not the
repeater owner's problem, but can be noticed on the output.

I remember someone a few years back doing mods on a standard repeater
amplifier to "linearlize" it for ATV and SSB with some bias network
additions.  As long as the PA is reasonably linear, slight distortions
in the linearity curve shouldn't create huge issues except with modes
like QAM or other modes with serious amplitude-dependent requirements.

I wish I had the time.  Being an RF guy, not a software type, it
sounds like a great project.

73 de N1FNE