I agree with your observation.

Over the years, any homebrew folded clones I've made, I located the drain hole 
near the bottom, but on the side of the element. It was done so that no water 
could accumulate enough to fill the tube, but not actually on the bottom like I 
believe you are suggesting. No element failures after several years now. I'd 
always heard Decibel located the hole at a low stress point, but I'm not sure I 
buy that. Often I put two holes - one on each, but opposing, side.

Chuck
WB2EDV



  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Dave Baughn 
  To: [email protected] 
  Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 11:07 AM
  Subject: [Repeater-Builder] DB-224 drain holes


  Does anyone know if there is any science behind the location of the weep 
holes in a DB224 element? I have had several crack at the very bottom, 
apparently due to freezing water inside. The hole is located on the side, an 
inch or two up from the bottom. Why not put it at the bottom so the water will 
drain? Moreover, why put it where it will let water into the bottom of the 
element?

  Dave Baughn
  Director of Engineering
  The University of Alabama
  Center for Public Television and Radio
   WVUA/WUOA-TV & WUAL/ WQPR/ WAPR FM
  Box 870150
  195 Reese Phifer Hall, 901 University Blvd.
  Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487
  205.348.8622 cell 205.310.8798
  NEW EMAIL [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   

Reply via email to