--- In [email protected], "Dave Baughn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
wrote:
>
> Does anyone know if there is any science behind the location of the weep
> holes in a DB224 element? I have had several crack at the very bottom,
> apparently due to freezing water inside.


I don't necessarily know about the science behind the location of the
holes, and sure, it seems like water freezing has cracked your
dipoles.  But <once> I thought I was smarter than DB Products.

I received the shipment of a brand new DB224 some years ago for our
club repeater.  Yup, there were the holes, nowhere near the bottom
where water collects.  So, out comes the drill, and holes about 1/8"
diameter appeared dead-bottom-center in each dipole.

Some months later, (it wasn't even several years) the dreaded <antenna
noise> bugs were being heard.  An inspection of the dipoles discovered
3 of the 4 dipoles had cracks or were completely broken at the bottom,
right through the holes I had drilled.  <sigh>

I called DB and was told that the bottom of the dipoles is a "high
stress" point therefore that's why the holes are not drilled there.

I no longer re-engineer dipoles.

Having said all that, I also have a ASPB602, the Antenna Specialists
version of above 4-dipole antenna.  Those dipoles are 3/4" OD, as
opposed to DB224s at 3/8" OD.  The drain holes are factory supplied
directly at the bottom.  Go figure.

Laryn K8TVZ



Reply via email to