  From: Ron Wright
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 1:47 PM
  Subject: Re: Re: [Repeater-Builder] FCC Denies Petition to Utilize 2m
Sub-Band for Digita

  Joe,

  I am planning adding D-Star to my analog 2m repeater. I am planning a dual
control so if a user has CTCSS then the analog side would work and if no CTCSS
then the d-star path would be used. Not a full D-Star approach for we will not
be looking for the D-Star formated data, only if you have CTCSS or not. Simple
and hopefully can get some interest in D-Star and demo its advantages and
disadvantages.

  The problem is in some areas, like where I am, there are no pairs for D-Star
to go on in the 2 m band. We are full and this is the problem in many areas.

  Also the D-Star ICOM controllers are not like most repeater controllers. They
talk to the ICOM repeaters with a Cat-5 cable with serial data giving commands
such as ptt, digital audio data, etc. Not the simple get COS/key transmitter.
So if doing full D-Star and wanting to get into the gate way, ICOM's IRLP or
Echolink, then you need ICOMs controller. Much more complex solved with $. A
D-Star repeater can go for $5-10k and this is for what is on the ground.

  There have been couple analog repeaters converted to D-Star here. This has
been the most growth.

  73, ron, n9ee/r

  >From: MCH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  >Date: 2008/05/08 Thu PM 10:45:33 CDT
  >To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  >Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] FCC Denies Petition to Utilize 2m Sub-Band
for Digita

  >You know a lot of this problem could "go away" of they would only make
  >dual mode repeaters like P25 systems are. Then, you could replace an
  >existing repeater and simply ADD the D-STAR mode to the area. That way,
  >you could have just as many D-STAR repeaters as analog repeaters with
  >the same coverage.
  >
  >Joe M.
  >
  >Ron Wright wrote:
  >> Jim,
  >>
  >> I tend to agree more spectrum is not needed on 2 meters just to
accommodate D-Star or any other mode, digital or analog. Many analog boys are
also starving for space for their repeaters.

  >> D-Star does look for the proper D-Star format to "unsquelch" as one might
say. It does not simply turn on with signal like many analog rigs do. The
repeaters and rigs do this.

  >> This is why, as you very well know, we use CTCSS...to unsquelch the rcvr
when the proper tone rcv'd.

  >> The petition to the FCC was an attempt to gain more repeater pairs mainly
for D-Star. I am sure the petitioners would have wanted the expansion to go for
digital only. I am sure the FCC saw thru this.

  >> Another issue popped up about a year ago. An FCC rep made a comment at a
forum stating or more like asking if D-Star was really a normal Ham repeater
since it delays the digital data and is in a Packet type store and forward
mode. The delay is ms. With this in mind there were repeater councils giving
out freq pairs which were not in the FCC rules for repeater...145.5-145.800.
There were some actually using them. This effort has for the most part gone
away.

  >> 73, ron, n9ee/r
  >>

  >>> From: wd8chl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  >>> Date: 2008/05/08 Thu PM 02:39:00 CDT