Laryn:

Take a look at:  http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=14

This would do exactly what you want.  Don't bother with the new
(Especially at $400), I have an older version picked up off of Ebay here
at the house and it runs great.
Protects against the UPS failing, and since it's got a network
connection I can log into it remotely and actually see the log of when
power dropped out on either side.

Chuck  n0nhj