Hi Ralph,

> Ralph <w7...@...> wrote:
> I have never seen or used a Hamtronics preamp. I don't
> know anything about their specs or how truthful they
> are. Maybe some one out there in the great bits might
> have an answer. Skipp? Eric? anyone??

I'll answer up to the anyone label...

Through the years Hamtronics has offered up a number of
quite different RF Preamplifier kits and assembled boards.

Relative to the industry they are truthful and their
products are a good dollar value. Even more valuable is
the experience and knowledge many people receive for
constructing and setting up their kits.

The RF Preamplifier you're probably talking about is not
a true helical filter design. Hamtronics no longer offers
the HRA series with the on board Toko (brand) helical
filter. Their current products (when I last looked) were
broad-band and some with modest tuned circuits, which is
not really a true helical layout.

After completing a recent very large vhf receiver site
distribution project... I'm now not so keen on using
and depending on or trusting the classic (Toko) type Helical
filter assemblies in front receiver pre-amplifiers at locations
with strong adjacent signals. The shining star in this
most recent project was the now famous GLB pre-amplifier.

Please don't confuse my description of the small Toko
helical filter assemblies with the helical filters built
into many receiver front end circuits/layouts. However, both
the performance of your receiver can be and is often directly
related to both... but you often can't easily change the
receiver (as-built) front end assembly. "You get what you
get" built into the receiver as supplied by the manufacturer.

After reading your posts and all the answers... I can
write is how I personally would want to know more about the
Vertex radio receiver front-end layout before I started
making changes. Directly dependent on the receiver front-
end layout and performance... would say a lot about what
you can successfully park in front of it (the receiver).

My personal suggestion is that you replace the LMR-400
coax with almost anything else... with relatively short
VHF lengths RG-214 mil spec is probably a great choice
if you don't have access to free-bee (gratis) hard line.

As previously reported many times... I source a lot of
repeater problems back to LMR-400 cable so I jerk it out
of all our duplex (repeater)operations. The Internet Wifi
guys like and swear by it a lot (because of the lower cost)
but their operations are mostly half duplex (simplex).
Half duplex radio operations don't appear to suffer the
LMR-400 type grunge problem nearly as much as the many
repeater (full-duplex) gremlins we've had to resolve. But
I have seen a fair number of Wifi problems related to
using LMR-400 but a lot of that sort of blame gets put
off on the path being bad or co-channel interference.

It's very smart of you to pay attention to the antenna
beam-width related to both your elevation and location of
the majority users.

A smaller part about how much Transmit Power you use is
modestly inter-related to your hardware and how hot you
want the receiver side of things. Less TX Power Out is
easier to deal with... but I do like a very solid TX
signal on/at the user end.

There are a gazillion pre-amp and filter options possible...
for me it comes full circle back to the receiver performance
and how it's laid out (constructed).

Commercial mobile two-way radios can be decent repeater
receivers and some can be "not so good".

cheers,
skipp