Hi All -- Here is my take on the preamp vs no preamp situation -- and with
Vertex repeaters --

First -- Preamps are not the solution to most of our troubles, in fact it
has been my experience over the years that they are more trouble than they
are helpful
I agree with Skipp and others when it is said to get rid of the LMR-400 and
replace it. For inside the box use 142b or 223, something with low loss but
is manageable to use on the duplexer and interconnects. rg-214 is way over
the top for most of this stuff. For antennas, don't use less than 1/2
heliax. Even '214 will get noisy if there is any flex or it is out in the
weather a couple of seasons.

No-Preamps, we as amateurs look a preamps as a panacia for many things,
including the lack of perceived receiver sensitivity. But it is interesting
to note a couple of things. One, a 0.4 uv receiver is as good as it is going
to get, in most cases because of the fact your setting in a high place and
the MDS combined with the power out, 50 to 75 watts, is going to be about
equal with a 4 pole antenna. Not rocket science, and you can actually run
that test iif your on a hill and have the proper equipment to do so.
Secondly, preamps, even at 10 db gain, really only add about 3 db of signal
and the rest is just moving the noise floor higher. And in some cases really
create a need for more signal to open the repeaters receiver. If your having
issues with the reciever, it would be my recommendation to set down and take
a hard look at the equipment, duplexer, antenna, and cables. There are so
many variables here in just those 4 items that it will take sometime to
optimize each of them to your needs.

Coax, again I agree with all of those on here that LMR, 214, 213, RG-8 etc
on a repeater is just not a good idea. Use hardline -

Vertex, I have nothing bad to say abobut them other than my experience with
2 UHF machines. Both of them exhibit the same characterisitcs so I will just
speak in general terms. What I found was that there was/is a lot of
crosstalk in the repeater box itself and even though the duplexer was well
tuned we could not get the isolation down on the system as a whole. The
second problem I found was that the LO runs all the time! This not good it
interferes with others on the site and can cause strange mixes within the
box that could desense your receiver, especially if there is a signal within
the IF of the repeater, either high or low.

How did we fix it? We went to a GE box, LOL!

So, I guess in conclusion here, before spending your hard earned dollars,
for preamps, helical resonators, and the like take good gander at the
situation and try to break it down to a common denominator, with a clear
picture as to what your seeing. Do all of the things necessary for good
repeater operation and then look again. I'll bet you just haven't found the
right place to look yet.

rick NU7Z