Thank you all for some excellent advice for a first-time repeater
builder. I have decided to move the antenna to the other side of the
house and push it up 60 feet. My home sits about ~15 feet below the
road, so this will give me a net gain of ~45 feet. I'll feed it with
hard line and do it right. This will get the repeater antenna away
from  my own stuff in the shack. The repeater will actually go into a
cinder block walled room

The Vertex VX-4100's are solid radios encased in aluminum. The
plastic on the outside is decorative. Using the repeater right next
door to me and a hand-held without an antenna and 1/8th of a watt, I
generated a signal and then kerchunked the repeater next door. No
desense or white noise. I'll check this with a service monitor when
it gets back up here, but this test was positive and without the
cavities inline.

I will use quality DB15 shielded computer cables to soldered DB9's on
the RC210 controller.

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Lemmon" <wb6...@...>
wrote:

> Rick,
>
> You made some very good points.  I can offer two comments:  For
hookups
> within the repeater cabinet, use RG-400/U coax instead of RG-
142/U.  RG-400
> has a stranded center conductor, while RG-142 has a solid steel
center
> conductor that breaks easily when repeatedly flexed.
>
> Regarding the Vertex UHF repeaters, I corrected an in-cabinet
desense
> problem by replacing all three internal jumpers- which were unmarked
> gray-jacketed single-shield cables- with double-shielded RG-400
cable.

> 73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY

Preamp or
> Advanced Research Preamp
>
> Hi All -- Here is my take on the preamp vs no preamp situation --
and with
> Vertex repeaters --
>
> First -- Preamps are not the solution to most of our troubles, in
fact it
> has been my experience over the years that they are more trouble
than they
> are helpful
> I agree with Skipp and others when it is said to get rid of the LMR-
400 and
> replace it. For inside the box use 142b or 223, something with low
loss but
> is manageable to use on the duplexer and interconnects. rg-214 is
way over
> the top for most of this stuff. For antennas, don't use less than
1/2
> heliax. Even '214 will get noisy if there is any flex or it is out
in the
> weather a couple of seasons.
>
> No-Preamps, we as amateurs look a preamps as a panacea for many
things,
> including the lack of perceived receiver sensitivity. But it is
interesting
> to note a couple of things. One, a 0.4 uV receiver is as good as it
is going
> to get, in most cases because of the fact you're setting in a high
place and
> the MDS combined with the power out, 50 to 75 watts, is going to be
about
> equal with a 4 pole antenna. Not rocket science, and you can
actually run
> that test iif you're on a hill and have the proper equipment to do
so.
> Secondly, preamps, even at 10 dB gain, really only add about 3 dB
of signal
> and the rest is just moving the noise floor higher. And in some
cases really
> create a need for more signal to open the repeater's receiver. If
you're
> having issues with the receiver, it would be my recommendation to
sit down
> and take a hard look at the equipment, duplexer, antenna, and
cables. There
> are so many variables here in just those 4 items that it will take
some time
> to optimize each of them to your needs.
>
> Coax, again I agree with all of those on here that LMR, 214, 213,
RG-8 etc
> on a repeater is just not a good idea. Use hardline -
>
> Vertex, I have nothing bad to say about them other than my
experience with 2
> UHF machines. Both of them exhibit the same characteristics so I
will just
> speak in general terms. What I found was that there was/is a lot of
> crosstalk in the repeater box itself and even though the duplexer
was well
> tuned we could not get the isolation down on the system as a whole.
The