I had a couple of newer hams recently have an 'experience'. Two were
talking, and a third joined in. The first two were wondering how the
third found where they were, and the third said they were coming through
the (xxxxx) repeater. Their reply was "Oh, I guess 5 kHz off the input
is close enough to still come through it".

They continued to talk for some time after that comment.

1. They should know the bandwidth of their transmitted signal and the
separation between other receivers.

2. They should have known better than to select frequencies in the
repeater input segment.

3. Once it was pointed out, they should have realized that they were
potentially causing interference to others who wanted to use the
repeater while they were talking on simplex near its input.

All these should's, and not a lick of smarts to be found...

Then I get requests for people who want to put repeaters on 5 kHz away
from other repeaters, thinking it's far enough away since their radio
goes in 5 kHz steps...

Yes, the world IS getting dumber. I think it's because you can't tell
young people they are WRONG anymore because you will hurt their
feelings, and heaven forbid we can't have that, can we. So, we have a
lot of stupid people around, BUT they all feel good. Unfortunately, some
are getting ham licenses.

Oh, and the one who wants repeaters 5 kHz off other repeater pairs? They
TEACH ham radio classes and have for many years.

Joe M.

Michael Ryan wrote:

> After reading just a little of the opening paragraph below, …well..WHAT ?
>
> Interesting the comment here though, that an OFFICIAL CERTIFIED LETTER
> was sent, and in the same breath, what if ‘he’ didn’t know ‘he’ was
> aware of his interference?  You know this is part of the problem. The
> control, the I, ME, MINE, mindset and yes it is ENTIRELY possible that
> someone was talking on the output of a machine and never knew there was
> a machine.  If the person or PERSONS who thought enough to have ( an
> OFFICIAL …never heard it called that ) a LETTER sent to this poor guy,
> why wouldn’t a 23 cent postcard been sent or heaven forbid a phone call
> been placed to see what the cut of this guy’s cloth was before turning
> him into an adversary?  Sounds to me like another case of shoot first
> and… I dare say you don’t have to worry about closing the repeater on
> THAT guy.  He would have little or nothin’ to say to you.  What a
> wonderful way to make new friends in ham radio.  -M
>

> *Subject:* [Repeater-Builder] Re: Closed Repeaters
>
> Hi Group,
>
> There was a comment about a ham operator who was using the output
> frequency of a repeater for a conversation. As for as intential
> interference, is just that it's intential interferring an frequency that
> is using for the repeater output. We had a guy who come on a repeater
> during an simulated emergency net with the national guard and from the
> outcome of that the guy who caused the intential interference was sent
> an offical certified letter warning him of the prohibit use of any
> repeater that uses the callsign stated in the letter. My question would
> be, this person using the output frequency of the repeater...was his
> aware of it? The new hams even in this area of the low country of the
> tri-county including charleston, south carolina. Some of them and some
> of the older hams who probly spent more time on the hf frequencies
> needing guidence on using their 2m transceiver wasn't aware or made
> aware of the difference between hf frequencies where they have their
> guidlines. On hf there they are mostly sectioned out and prileges base
> on the license the ham operator has. Around in the area on 2 meters i
> have found people in the local area who think that the required 10
> minute identification rule only applies to certain areas which it does
> not state in part 97.119 a perticular section of frequencies but
> entirely of the amateur radio spectrum. In my speaking to the new hams
> and older who have used only hf not experienced in 2 meters don't know
> which frequency range is for what function. Like in the south eastern
> repeater association has the popossed repeater outputs/inputs, simplex,
> digital voice, ssb, cw and so forth but as i have learned this knowledge
> have passed it upon those unknowing these facts. That's why i ask
> whether or not the person talking on the output frequency of the
> repeater was aware or unaware. From SERA guidline for repeaters and
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: