> What's sad is how much will likely go in the dumpster
> instead into some deserving ham's hands ;c}

Or made available on/to the surplus market.

> Actually, there is still a legal question as to
> whether equipment that was not type-accepted for
> narrow-band originally will still be legal if the
> transmitter is narrow-banded, ie, deviation turned
> down. The FCC has yet to clarify much of anything
> like that.

A big can of worms and there seems to be a lot of people
on many groups who live to post various FCC rules along
with their interpretations. Bores me to tears to try and
read the legalese these folks spout.

Some key points if I may...

The narrow band physical mod is to the receiver. The
transmitter is not a mod, but typically a standard
deviation and audio level adjustment.

It is the responsibility of the License Holder to
ensure the emissions are legal. I personally have been
told by more than one FCC Field Agent and a former Office
Chief... (still working at the FCC in a higher capacity)
they are not going to get excited about properly upgraded
equipment properly running within the limits of the
license requirements.

The above has proven to be the case the few times I've
had site interactions with the FCC. I've never seen a
Field Agent walking around with a type acceptance list
or computer doing said look-ups.

s.