So far, all old analog cell phones I have picked up dial 911 without paid
service.  I call the local dispatcher on them to test this, no problem, so a
larger bag phone, generally free and incredibly easy to work on due to their
size, could work, a controller made from something like a basic stamp or pic
chip could dial for you, send 911, *911 etc to get a connection.  Another
way is to set your dialer, if possible, to allow outbound 911 only and
reject all other call requests.  If you go with an analog phone (AMPS),
contact your local PD about testing if the service still exists with
carriers around you, maybe during off hours.

Kurt