The Hamtronics CWID unit was notorious for the clicks as it stepped thru
the diodes.  The Maggiore CWID doesn't do it.  Back in the 70's and 80's
you could listen to the repeater and almost tell what controller the
repeater was using.  One of my very early attempts at an IDer was a
wheel with notches in it to send the ID.  I spent hours with a file to
get the dots and dashes sounding OK.  That was around 1970 or so.

73, Joe, K1ike