I built my own clown of the GLD ID board back in the 80's.  It is still
working.  In my application, changing the state of the remote base selects a
different ID with appropriate "tail msg" on the ID.

I also have different "speeds" imbedded within the ID by ratioing the slower CW
to that of the fastest.

I can send someone the schematic if interested.  My board is wire wrapped. :)

-Mike / W5JR