Well-there are several companies which are making 12.5 KHz conversion kits for
Mastr II's and other radios, where are not type accepted for commercial service
but can be used for ham service, the big issue to me is that the commercial
community has years to prepare for 12.5 Hz narrow banding (below 512 MHz) and
the vendors have been building systems capable of both wide band and narrow
band use for many years. How long will it take to get these same vendors to
start providing both 25 and 12.5 and then 6. 25 KHz radios for ham service? You
cannot expect hams to simply dump their existing radios and buy new ones-public
safety and LMR operators have had a lot of time to prepare so we should have
the same option.

The bad news is that wide band commercial radios are going to be plentiful and
cheap in the next few years as commercial operators are forced to change to 12.
5 KHz channels, it would make more sense for us to be able to take advantage of
these WB radios and stay wideband for a few more years than race to keep up the
LMR folks.

Andy

W6AMS