Well, I go by the Repeater Builder Web site that states not to use emulators
and
various other methods to imitate a slow computer. Exact Quote below: I picked
up
a fully working Compaq Laptop on ebay for $20, works great for dos programs.

A low end computer running MS-DOS (486 DX50 - i.e. maximum clock speed of
50MHz,
with all cache memory disabled), and using a faster computer WILL turn good
radios into bricks). Don't even think of running ANY version of Windows - this
has to be a straight DOS computer. We are NOT kidding here. This is one case
where slower is better, and going to a 486-33 or even a 386 wouldn't hurt. The
required characteristics of the programming computer are described in depth on
the RSS pages mentioned above. The newest revision of the Saber software is
still too old to have the speed fix that is mentioned there applied.
I repeat, find an old DOS computer no faster than 50mhz and with a real COM
(serial) port. Desktop or laptop, it doesn't matter, except that many laptops
do
not give you the option to switch off the cache memory.