On Tuesday, March 21, 2006 2:46 PM [EDT],
Robert D. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> I read where enabling DNS Write really slowed things down. That if I
> used AnalogX's Qdns that it would speed up.
>
> So I got it.
>
> However, I do not understand how it can process the file named
> dnscache.txt, inside the Analog folder, if Analog never writes new log
> IP's into it.

Why would  you want Analog to write IPs into  the cache file if you're using
QDNS to do resolve the IP addresses?

> And, if it DOES write new entries into it, does that mean that Analog
> is also looking them up ??? seems a puzzlement.

No, you don't want Analog to "look them up", you want Analog to read them
out of the  cache file.

> I am testing with about 700kB log from my server and it takes several
> minutes before Analog releases for me to use Report-Magic ..IF I use
> DNS Write in the config file.

The DNS cache file is list of DNS addresses that have  been looked up
before. It doesn't matter how you create them - have Analog do it, use one
of the helper apps like QDNS, or even create it by hand. Once it has been
created, Analog can read the cache file, with DNS READ, and it will run
about as fast as it would with DNS turned off.

To  create  the DNS cache file with QDNS, just run
QDNS /L <logfile.log> /D DNS.DNS

(Some people find that the have to manually specify /Y <DNS Server IP
address>)

Then  tell Analog to read  the  DNS file with
DNSFILE  DNS.DNS
DNS READ

QDNS should process your logfile, and create the DNS.DNS file in under a
minute - if you have Analog do the DNS lookups (with DNS WRITE), it will
take a lot longer.

Aengus