Jason,

I think that Tim's ideas were pretty well-thought out and reflect a workable
consensus.  The changes you are making to his ideas, if I read the
correctly, are to mandate a couple of things that he did not rule out, but
permitted to remain optional.  Having them as optional does not strike me as
a problem.

Best practices can always suggest that optional elements be used, and we'll
discover in practice how broadly the rule(s) should apply.

We should make sure that folks like William Rowe and others who have
commented on the repository structure lately take a look at, and provide
feedback on, Tim's layout.

        --- Noel