> Why do you want to parse strings which describe versions?

So one can look at a repository of artefacts and select the "best" for the
user automatically. Each user has a different view of "best", some want
latest (nightly/snapshot), some want latest "release" only.

Having a repository with automated tools that require humans to understand
the contents kinda breaks the automation...

> If you want to impose on anyone how they should version their artifacts?
> There is zero % of chance for that.

No, but by being flexible to a given set of versioning schemes on can. Like
I said, we are picking up most of Maven's repository w/o imposing anything,
and it also works for other common version standards.