The Repository URI proposal [1] defines artifact-specifier
as:
   artifact-specifier = path_segments

However, this is constrained by the *Artifact Specifier
proposals, enabling URIs which follow the proposals
to be parsed.
For an overview of these proposals, see
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ASFRepository/Proposals.

Can you provide an example of a URI which can't be parsed?

-Tim

[1] http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ASFRepository/URISyntax