See inline.

> From: Nick Chalko [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Tim Anderson wrote:
> >Can you provide an example of a URI which can't be parsed?
> >
> >-Tim
> >
> >[1]
> >

> *repository-uri = access-specifier "/" product-specifier "/"
> version-specifier "/" artifact-specifier*
>     It defines *access-specifier* and *product-specifier*, but leaves
>     *version-specifier* and *artifact-specifier* opaque, to be defined
>     by language, platform, or artifact-specific best practices.
>     Since version-specifier and artifact-specifier are opaque, there is
>     no way to tell where product specifier ends.
>     I know we have suggested version, and a Java artifact specifier.
>     But what about other languages,  Like the "new cool O/S" language foo.
>     It's artifact's are called bars
>     What is the product  or org .foo?
>     Is cat the version name or is dog.?
>     Perhaps there are two kings of bars, one for dogs and one for eggs.
>     or what ever.

If product-specifier is opaque, and the artifact URI
doesn't meet the criteria specified by one or more of the proposals,
then a tool can't look at its URI to determine what the product or
version is.

Does that really matter though? How can a tool sensibly interrogate
an artifact it doesn't understand?

>     organization/project  is a workable solution that lets a tool make
>     intelligent guesses based on URI only,.
>     I like the simplicity of
>     Top level  =  Organization that distribute things
>     2nd level =   A project.  (a sub organizational unit that
>     distributes artifacts)
>     3/4 level = Version,   (interim builds take an extra level
>     4/5 =  Artifacts stored any what a project likes.  (with best
>     practices for Java and other languages.)
>     The ONLY limits we have on organization and project and version is
>     it must be valid URI character and it can not be a "/"  (ie pchar)

I'm not really fussed if product-specifer is opaque or not -
I'll go with the concensus view.
IMO, the repository layout is cleaner if it is opaque, and tools
can still parse any URI which meet the criteria of the proposals.
If product-specifier is restricted to 2 path segments, then
tools can parse any URI, but the repository structure is flatter,
and can't represent project heirarchies.