Tim O'Brien wrote:
From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
This is something that is already present in the JJar[1] project.

Wouldn't it suffice to just tell the system in what repository to look for to get a certain artifact?

Sure, you could do this, but then you get into the problem of management. The early internet became unwieldy because every /etc/hosts was explicit, then came DNS.

I kinda disagree. Eclipse 'forces' you to enter the http of the repository from which you can get a plugin, and AFAIK it has not become (yet?) unwieldy.

Consider ibiblio.org, if every artifact was associated with an
organization (apache.org ->
http://http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/), then you could
(optionally) configure your client to only download an artifact from an
authoritative server for that particular artifact. You could use some
file like resolution.xml to just provide pointers to ASF managed
resources - say a version of the ASF maven repository at one of the
mirrors.

This way there is never a need to create one centralized conglomeration
of artifacts.  You could have many maven repositories all containing
only a portion of the entire "artifact space".

I agree with this. I was just thinking of another way to do it.

You see, directing users to repositories with diversely licensed jars, is not something that is particularly nice, as you put yourself in a position of being liable.

If instead the user has to enter the URL of the repository that contains an artifact, this doesn't happen.

Also, if the central "DNS" goes down the system would halt
It would also still force anybody that wants to have something published to have an entry in that "DNS".

But still, this is becoming OT for the purpose of this discussion.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -