On Apr 10, 2005 2:06 AM, Brett Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > planetapache.org knows everything :)
>
> Yes, I just caught your post :)
>
> > This is cool.
> > -what is the local cache name/layout?
>
> Configurable, defaults to ~/.m2/repository and uses the "default"
> layout, which is the new one.

OK.

> > I'll add maven2 lib support to ant CVS_HEAD and make it the default
> > there, same for  Smartfrog; in both cases I'll provide support for the
> > old layout somehow too. That'll be a good test of how well architected
> > the different classes are -if adding a new repository layout only
> > changes one class.
>
> Earlier, there was some talk about whether it would be appropriate to
> get Wagon up to release quality and use that. What are your thoughts
> on this?
>
> The main limitation is that it currently requires JDK 1.4, which
> conflicts with your message:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-repository/200501.mbox/[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]
> It doesn't have any additional dependencies (I may have added some
> utils, but we can take them back out). I'm pretty sure the API could
> be cut back to 1.2 if that is required, though it would be nicer to
> keep it. It is possible that it could be an optional feature for 1.4
> users... how do you feel about this?

Ant is still debating whether or not to EOL 1.2 support, following
Sun's lead. I hadnt been over enthused about -and certainly against
dropping 1.3 support given how some platforms (e.g. FreeBSD) are still
1.3 only.

Your mention of httpclient reminds me how atrociously inconsistent
java.net is  on the older platforms. As long as servers dont require
auth or multi cookie support we'll be ok. probably. as long as we dont
rely on reliable content-length headers or parsing of any error

> We can move the maven-artifact (or portions thereof) code to Wagon
> too. It currently only depends on the container, but I am about to
> take a pass at cleaning it up, so I can send the design past here to
> see if we are on the same page if you are interested.
>
> Some of the wagon providers require JDK 1.4 and external dependencies
> (eg, the httpclient version of the http provider - not the default,
> and the SCP implementation). I don't imagine it is a problem to
> document this.
>
> As for your other mail:
> - classifier is for stuff derived from a single groupId:artifactId
> (shares the POM). eg -client for an ejb client, -bin and -src on a
> dist.

ok

> - yes, extension should be able to be null or empty - will fix

good. that'll be my first contrib to the maven source tree :)

> - we have really been trying to discourage the absence of a version in
> the repository, but we can have that restriction in Maven, not in
> maven-artifact if that is what you want.

The current layour really does rely on some kind of version artifact;
and you cant do proper versioned repositories without it. your policy
makes sense to me.

> So, how do we move forward on this?

I'll look at coding ant and smartfrog support, write the unit tests,
etc, etc, let you know how it worked.

one problem I have for both systems is proxies; at work I cant go to
remote http servers without proxy setup. What does maven do?