On 5/4/09 1:21 AM, Iain Duncan wrote:
> Hi folks, I'm new here and was wondering if there is a good Repoze.bfg
> to Grok comparison page anywhere. If not, I'd like to recommend that it
> would be a great addition to the docs. I know there is a brief
> comparison up there, but to someone like me who is experienced in
> Pylons/TG/Django style stuff but new to Zope, I'm pretty confused about
> whether I should learn zope by trying out Zope 3, Grok, or Repoze.bfg
> and what the pros and cons of each approach are.

I'm afraid there isn't much in the way of documents comparing Grok to BFG or
Zope 3 to BFG as a web framework.  The Repoze/Zope/Grok communities overlap a
good bit so everyone is quite nice to each other about their frameworks. ;-)

In general, though, these days I think it's safe to say if you want Zope3, you
want Grok.  "Want Zope3" can be defined as "want ZODB, want Zope-style
form-generation, want ZPT".  If you want something smaller that feels similar
but doesn't make as many choices for you, BFG is probably the way to go.

One set of comparisons on the axis of "number of lines of profiler output" were
made a while back:

http://www.plope.com/whats_your_web_framework_doing

Today, on the same benchmark, r.bfg emits 32 lines of profiler output.

> It's getting cliched, but it really *is* an exciting time to be a
> python-wsgi-web developer. =)

It is!