> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Richard L. Hamilton
> <rlhamil at smart.net> wrote:
> > How does this behave with the -p option - does it
> just report
> > the current usage, or does it wait for the process
> to exit and
> > report its final usage?  If the former (which I
> suspect is the case),
> > it might be handy to have an option to do the
> latter (if possible).
>
> Yes, it's the former.  I looked into performing the
> latter, but I
> didn't find a reasonable way to do this.

Hmm.  pwait can get the psinfo as of when the process exits,
by using poll(2) to wait for the process to exit; the way I read
proc(4) suggests that should work on /proc/*/usage (or /proc/*/lusage
if LWP-level detail is desired) as well.

> > Other wishlist thoughts:
> >
> > * option for LWP-level detail
> > * option to report all the info in struct prusage,
> not just times.
>
> The scope of this request can be found in the PSARC
> case:
> http://opensolaris.org/os/community/arc/caselog/2007/5
> 98/.  I'd be
> more than happy to do the work for other additions,
> but I'm not
> interested in adding anything to this particular
> request.

Certainly I don't want to slow down one thing getting added by piling on
a bunch more; was just looking for a reaction.

If you want this on some other list, please CC whichever you think most
appropriate
(discuss, rfc, code, whatever...).  I have a few thoughts on how the things I
mentioned
might look; if I find some time, I might just try my hand at some code along
those lines.
In particular, I see the default format for additional usage info being
modelled on the
rusage(1b) output, since that's already familiar, and prusage contains
equivalents to all
but the last four fields reported by rusage, at least two of which are
apparently no longer
useful anyway.