Jeremy Teo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> request sponsor for #4890717 want append-only files.
>
> I have a working prototype where the administrator can put a zfs fs
> into "append only" mode by setting the zfs "appendonly" property to
> "on" using zfs(1M).
>
> "append only" mode in this case means
>
> 1. Applications can only append to any existing files, but cannot
> truncate files by creating a new file with the same filename an
> existing file, or by writing in a file at an offset other than the end
> of the file. (Applications can still create new files)
>
> 2. Applications cannot remove existing files/directories.
>
> 3. Applications cannot rename/move existing files/directories.
>
> Thanks! I hope this is still wanted. :)

This sounds cool!  What would you envision it being used for?

We're having some discussions about various ways of implementing "append
only".  There are some requirements around Sarbanes-Oxley about
append-only *files*, and the possibility of using ACLs to specify
append-only permissions.  However, there may also be some use cases for
append-only *filesystems* as well.  Did you have any in mind?

--matt

ps. It may be more appropriate to take this discussion over to
zfs-discuss or zfs-code, rather than request-sponsor.