>Yeah, you'll notice that if you try to su to root and run installers
>that run pkgadd internally.  I use this method, and the StarOffice 8
>installer failed quite mysteriously until I realized it was just an
>instance of that problem and reset TMPDIR to something else.

This, unfortunately, kills the whole idea in my mind.
(I vaguely remembered similar issues from the past)

And while we all agree that not being able to use $TMPDIR should
not cause a horrid failure in any application, I'm afraid that
we'd need to fix those bugs first.

(Strange, though, since installers usually run as root; so this
was with an NFS $TMPDIR?)

Casper