On 11/6/06, Darren J Moffat <Darren.Moffat at sun.com> wrote:
> While it isn't particularly necessary on machines with small numbers of
> users if you have every logged into a big Sun Ray machine you would have
> an idea of just how cluttered /tmp can get with hundreds of users all
> using the same /tmp.

On such machines, are the files that land in /tmp ones that respect
$TMPDIR or is it deliberate acts of users that clutter /tmp?  By
"deliberate acts" I mean a sequence similar to: "I would like to see
what is in this tar file; cd /tmp ; tar xvf ~/file.tar; darnit! That
tar file didn't have a single top level directory;"

I am not at all opposed to this proposal, I just suspect that a
standard /tmp cleaner utility would have more impact.  That is, do for
/tmp cleaning what logadm has done for log rotation.

If this is a problem that is restricted to the case of a handful of
situations related to particular applications, it may be useful to
have /etc/profile process files in a directory named /etc/profile.d.
This way the Sun Ray software could add a file into that directory
that sets TMPDIR without performing the risky task of modifying
/etc/profile as a postinstall script.  Having /etc/profile.d (and
similar for *csh users) would certainly simplify local customization
of environments without having to worry about patches or upgrades
whacking them.

Mike

--
Mike Gerdts