All I can say is that during development, when we reload the web
applications many times, when the container is about tu run OutOfMemory
it gives similar error messages to the ones you describe (classes not
found that have already been used etc).

In our case, it seems to be related to classloaders having some
references that are not cleaned appropriately, sometimes by foreign code
like DataSources holding to drivers but as it is usually just a problem
in development, we have not had time to chase it in detail.

In any case, the symptoms you describe are usually a indication of an
incoming OutOfMemoryError, the reason itself for the error is another story.

I know that does not help much, but unless you are reloading your
application multiple times, I would look for a memory leak.

Good luck!