Jean-François,

This is the best write-up I've seen on how browsers and proxy servers
cache:

http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/

Then once you know what you want in headers, this page is a good
discussion of the various browser and server-side caching features in
Resin 3.1:

http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.1/doc/proxy-cache.xtp

What you want is certainly very doable and hopefully straight-forward
after reading these docs.  The first site also links to an online tool
that can test whether you've got the headers working right.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501