This is the best write-up I've seen on how browsers and proxy servers

Then once you know what you want in headers, this page is a good
discussion of the various browser and server-side caching features in
Resin 3.1:

What you want is certainly very doable and hopefully straight-forward
after reading these docs.  The first site also links to an online tool
that can test whether you've got the headers working right.

Serge Knystautas
Lokitech >> software . strategy . design >>
p. 301.656.5501