Aaron Freeman wrote:
> I see from your link that Sun uses an int, but couldn't that be arbitrary?

I can't speak to whether the expert committee's decision was arbitrary
or not.  :)  But once they've made a decision, it is a rule that must be
implemented.

> I don't believe Jakarta, and other implementations have this limit -- I just
> looked and they are using a long.  This is a seriously limiting factor and
> may require us to swap out our underlying servers from Resin (which I
> really, really don't want to do).

Where are you seeing this?  Jakarta used to have Tomcat, which I assume
is what you're referring to, but every reference I can find in Tomcat
6.x (BaseRequest, Request, RequestFascade, ApplicationHttpRequest,
DummyRequest) returns int for getContentLength().  If someone has
figured a way around the spec limitation, that's great news!  Maybe
newer versions of Java had changed this, but I didn't think you could
alter method signatures.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501