Something to note here... the request shown is a HEAD request and not a GET request. Not sure if that is having an effect here or not though.
-Brian

Scott Ferguson wrote:

On Aug 23, 2007, at 3:29 PM, Michael L. Davis wrote:

Hi Scott,

The Accept-Encoding sent by FireFox is:

Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate

on both the PC and Linux.

The websiteoptimization.com site used:

Accept-Encoding: compress, gzip

In particular, below is the trace for the prototype.js file from the above .com, (it is called compressed because the comments and extra linefeeds are removed, etc.) and it is 52498 bytes on disk.

 [15] HEAD /startpage/scripts/prototype-compressed.js HTTP/1.1
 [15] Remote-IP: 72.51.34.164:53657
 [15] User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1;)
 [15] Host: speshy.com
 [15] Accept: */*
 [15] Referer:

Thanks, but this request doesn't contain an Accept-Encoding. So Resin's gzip filter should not be compressing the result. Do you have a trace where the *.js request sends an Accept-Encoding, but Resin doesn't send the appropriate response?

-- Scott

 invoke (uri:/scripts/prototype-compressed.js -> resin-file)
 Servlet[resin-file] starting
 resin-file: init
 Servlet[resin-file] started
 [15] HTTP/1.1 200 OK
 [15] ETag: "831XFs4IZoh"
[15] Last-Modified: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:22:02 GMT
 [15] Accept-Ranges: bytes
 [15] Content-Type: application/x-javascript
 [15] Content-Length: 52498
 [15] keepalive
 [15] keepalive (select)

Thanks,