This issue seems to creep up from time to time and I just filed
another bug with it, http://bugs.caucho.com/view.php?id=2635, but now
I figured it out:

Resin does indeed require write access to the work directory (i.e.,
/ROOT/WEB-INF/work/) and everything under it; otherwise, it will
complain with bogus 404, not found errors.

--

Maurice Volaski, [EMAIL PROTECTED]