Do you have a lot of jsp's? We don't deploy war files, but I do notice that when we have any old jsp's laying around that have errors in them, resin attempts to recompile them every time it starts, and this slows down the start time considerably. So, if you have jsp's in your war, you might want to consider compiling them before you create your war file. Not sure if that's even possible, but I bet it would reduce your start times considerably, at the expense of increasing the size of your war file, of course.