Quite simple: you just need to have mod_proxy* enabled in your Apache
instalation and then add something like...

ProxyPass /appx http://resin_host:resin_port/appx
ProxyPassReverse /appx http://resin_host:resin_port/appx

That's it. We have many web applications running at several hosts under
different versions of Resin and JDK, and we even have some Tomcat
instances (product-required).

With this option you mainly redirect directories as a whole, as that's
how mod_proxy works, but in case one needs more fine grained control,
one can use mod_rewrite to filter some requests, forward them to a
virtual directory that is then "proxied" to the appropriate host.

Native, vendor-specific modules are probably more efficient, or they
should be, but this way we've had no problems with compiling native
modules, combining different versions of anything etc. We also use it as
a way of having a persistent URL for each application while allowing us
to change the server/port without a fuss. Migrating from one server to
another can also be done quite easily as you can start the other server,
test it etc. and then when you are ready, change the Apache
configuration, reload the Apache configuration (no need to stop the
server) and you are done (sessions are lost, of course, but that's
another issue).

All in all, we've used this approach for many years and all I can say is
that we are still using it :).

* Old apache versions (1.3.X) just require mod_proxy, newer versions
(2.X) split the mod_proxy module in different modules, so you also need
to enable mod_proxy_http, at least.